Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A thing I do not feel guilty about: I just fed two hungry 5-year-old boys a toasted bagel and orange slices while I snuck around nibbling really good salami slices and Brie cheese.

A thing I do feel guilty about: My friend came over and got a book, and she was so kind, giving me the sweet "I'm so proud of you" feedback that I love and adore. Then she said, "Look at what you've done. You have something to leave behind." And I was sad. Because if I have one thing to leave behind, I don't want it to be any book, even if it's wonderful. I want it to be happy kids who grow into happy adults and have their own happy families. And I wanted to tell her that, but she didn't think it was such a permanent, physical thing, so I let it go. And maybe I shouldn't have.

Maybe here's what I should have said: "You have three beautiful kids. They think you're wonderful, even the 14-year-old girl. They have strong, healthy bodies and strong, healthy self-image. They love the Lord, and they love being a part of a family. Nobody could leave behind anything better than that."

Next time, I'll be ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Becca,
    I think I needed to read that today :)

    ReplyDelete

If you want to say it, I want to hear it. Bring it on.